Have you ever found yourself at a party, feeling alienated and wanting to hide in a corner, because you can’t seem to get into the flow of things? Asking the right question can be a great way to strike up a conversation. Start talking to one person, some other people may join in, and before you know it, you’ve created a rather interesting social situation for yourself.
We’ve compiled a list of 105 party questions split into different categories – afterall, different topics are going to be appropriate in different situations.
Questions to ask at a party (with people from your social circle and friends of friends)
1. How do you know people here?
2. Found any new cool YouTubers lately?
3. Is it easy for you to open up to other people?
4. How old were you when you tried alcohol for the first time?
5. What’s the best thing about parties?
6. What kind of stuff did you enjoy watching on TV as a kid?
7. How was your week?
8. Have you seen [mutual friend] recently?
9. Do you still like the movies you liked as a kid?
10. Has anyone ever tried to scam you?
11. Do you have a go-to tactic to stay hydrated when drinking alcohol?
12. Are you planning to make any changes to your life in the near future?
13. Is there a practically useless item that is way out of your budget that you’d love to have anyway?
14. Do you ever feel more excited about getting the package in the mail, rather than the item that’s in it?
15. Do you listen to people’s advice if you didn’t ask for it?
16. Do you often ask for advice?
17. What’s the most irreplaceable feature of your smartphone for you?
18. Did you watch anything good lately?
19. Do you find it embarrassing to be around your parents?
Fun questions to ask at a party
1. These questions meant for easy-going conversations or to make a group conversation more exciting.
2. What celebrity would you want to party with?
3. Are there any fictional worlds you’d love to visit or live in?
4. Did you ever have a crush on a movie star?
5. Do you view pizza as a relative to a loaf of bread?
6. Have you ever felt at least a little bit famous?
7. What would your superhero name be?
8. What’s your least favorite shape of pasta?
9. What’s the craziest party experience you had?
10. What was your last Halloween costume?
11. Would you rather be famous or be really good at something?
12. Did you ever get drunk, order something online, and forget all about it until it arrived?
13. Would you rather lose the ability to speak completely, or only be able to speak to the ghosts of your great-grandparents?
14. Why is it impossible to spell funeral without fun?
15. Do you like watching bad movies?
16. Would you rather live on the Moon or on a starship orbiting the Earth?
17. If you had the power to turn invisible, what would you do with it?
18. Would you rather be the person that organized the colonization of Mars, or be the first person to arrive?
19. What’s your favorite inside joke that you have with your friends?
20. Would you rather stay as you are, or have an enormous capability to remember every event and occurrence with 100% accuracy?
21. Would it be less awkward for you to kiss your father, or to slap him?
22. Are there any movies you laugh at but feel kinda guilty for doing so because they’re just SO stupid?
23. If you did stand-up comedy, what kind of themes would you go into? Would you have a clean act?
24. Would you rather never feel stressed out or never run out of money?
25. Do you prefer matches or lighters?
26. If you were a musical genius, would you rather write for other people and stay in the background or perform your own music on stage and tour with it?
27. Would you rather uncontrollably burst out into singing very beautiful but profane songs for 2 hours straight per day, or go completely mute forever?
28. How long can you hold your breath?
29. Would you get a full-size tattoo of your mother on your chest for USD 1,000,000?
Questions to ask at a work party
1. The questions in this section are more serious than the previous ones.
2. What have you been working on lately?
3. Where did you work before this company?
4. Have you ever made any new year’s resolutions?
5. When you’re learning something new, do you prioritize theory or practice?
6. Have you ever watched any esports?
7. Can you sing your national anthem?
8. How do you feel around people who are more skilled than you?
9. What demotivates you the most?
10. How many jobs have you had?
11. If you were offered a decent raise, would you consider moving to a new city you don’t have any friends in?
12. Which movie have you rewatched the most times in your life? How many times did you watch it?
13. Do you know anyone who often speaks in movie quotes?
14. What’s your focus in life right now?
15. Do you find it easy to make new connections?
16. Do you often turn down invitations you want to accept?
17. What kind of TV series do you like?
18. What’s your favorite snack?
19. Have you ever copied someone’s homework in school?
Questions to ask at a dinner party
1. Have you tried any exotic meats?
2. How are things at work lately?
3. Is there any fact you’d really love to learn about any famous person?
4. What’s the most important quality to have in a friend?
5. How are you with hot food?
6. What do you think is the best stage of life to get married and have kids?
7. How’s that project of yours coming along?
8. Have you planned your retirement at all?
9. Do you make shopping lists or do you go by memory?
10. Do you get excited when thinking about the future and its possibilities?
11. Have you ever tried tracking your calories?
12. Are there any trends that annoy you?
13. Are there any photos of you that you’d love to see right now that you’ve deleted or destroyed in the past?
14. Where would you rather live if money wasn’t a problem and there was nothing tying you down, such as friends or family?
15. Have you ever self-medicated?
16. Did you ever have a long streak of days filled with nothing but happiness?
17. Have you ever eaten food that you’ve planted and harvested yourself?
18. What’s your favorite decade of fashion?
19. Are you concerned about the planet’s environment?
20. What’d be your backup option for a career?
Questions to ask at a tea party
1. These questions are more suitable in a semi-formal setting
2. What’s the best news you’ve gotten recently?
3. What do you appreciate about your life?
4. What kind of physical exercise do you like the most?
5. What food supplements do you take?
6. What’s your favorite season?
7. Do you remember any funny or weird quirks you had as a kid that went away once you grew up?
8. Do you remember your first paycheck?
9. Ever get instant buyer’s remorse?
10. Do you have a family tree?
11. Did you ever come back to a vacation spot, and it just didn’t feel the same the second time?
12. Have you ever tried meditation?
13. Do you carry any self-defense weapons with you?
14. Do you ever go to flea markets, garage sales, or swap meets?
15. Have you ever bought anything cool at a flea market?
16. If you had your own brand of incense sticks or scented candles, what kind of aromas would you produce?
17. Do you notice the time going by faster as you get older?
18. How much water do you drink per day?
19. Have you ever read any philosophy books?
20. Do you enjoy surprises?
21. Do you remember the first song you ever fell in love with?